PRIX BIENVENU 2013: Guest reviews reveal Switzerland’s friendliest hotels
Switzerland Tourism has awarded the first ever PRIX BIENVENUE to the country’s friendliest hotels at the 16th edition of the Schweizer Ferientag event in Bern. The award was judged by carrying out a semantic analysis of hotel reviews posted on more than 250 booking and review websites, with the focus on hospitality. As of 2013, the PRIX BIENVENU will be awarded every year to acknowledge and promote Switzerland’s best hotels.
PRIX BIENVENU: the ‘Oscar’ of the Swiss hospitality world ‘Bienvenu’ is the name of the little bronze figure of a concierge. It is a fitting symbol for hospitality, as the concierge is the one who welcomes guests and fulfils their wishes. 1477 participants attended the prizegiving ceremony at the Schweizer Ferientag in Bern today, the most important event on the Switzerland Tourism calendar. The PRIX BIENVENU was based on hundreds of thousands of hotel reviews, posted on more than 250 booking and review websites between June 2012 and late March 2013. Swiss hotels with more than 30 reviews automatically qualified for the competition. The PRIX BIENVENU has been awarded to the following four hotels (one per category) on the basis of TrustYou* review analytics and scoring, as well as the decisions of judges who visited the shortlisted hotels.
- Cosy leisure hotel (fewer than 40 rooms): Art.Boutique.Hotel Beau-Séjour***, Champéry (VS)
- Larger leisure hotel (more than 40 rooms): Hotel Hof Weissbad****, Weissbad (AI)
- City hotel: Hotel Lugano Dante****, Lugano (TI)
- Luxury hotel: Hotel Villa Honegg*****S, Ennetbürgen (NW)
Guest opinion is confirmed by the judging panel Switzerland Tourism (ST), hotelleriesuisse, GastroSuisse, the Lausanne Hospitality Management School (EHL) and the University of Bern came together to judge the PRIX BIENVENU, acknowledging the best hotels in each category to find the friendliest hotels in Switzerland. The award ceremony will be held annually at the Schweizer Ferientag in Bern as of 2013. As guest expectations vary according to the kind of hotel they stay in, the award has been split into four categories: cosy leisure hotels (fewer than 40 rooms), larger leisure hotels (more than 40 rooms), city hotels and luxury hotels. These four categories ensure that participating hotels all stand equal chances of winning a BIENVENU in their target market.
TrustYou, an international online hotel reputation management company, carried out a semantic analysis of guest reviews for PRIX BIENVENU 2013. The hospitality-focused analysis took into account factors such as how kind, attentive, helpful and understanding hotel staff were towards their guests. Other criteria for assessing quality such as hotel infrastructure, location, decor, cleanliness and price-quality ratio were not taken into consideration for the PRIX BIENVENU. Panel judges visited three shortlisted hotels in each category to give their final seal of approval.
PRIX BIENVENU Judging Panel
- hotelleriesuisse: Thomas Allemann, Member Services and Hotel Classification Manager
- GastroSuisse: Daniel C. Jung, Deputy Director
- Lausanne Hospitality Management School (EHL): Prof Michel Rochat, Director
- University of Bern/CRED: Dr Monika Bandi, Tourism Research Manager
- Schweizer Illustrierte: Urs Heller, Publications Manager, Ringier Switzerland
- Kurt Aeschbacher: TV presenter and chat show host
- Switzerland Tourism: Jürg Schmid, Director